Monday, February 06, 2006

Don’t call it a come back

Don’t call it a come back


It’s been a minute since I sat down to scribble some thoughts. Mostly because I’ve been maddddd busy. Secondly cause I get lazy when it comes to “blogging”, although this little journal has helped in my personal growth so much. It’s easy to look back and know exactly where I was, like creating a trail from the place you started. Sometimes I look back and go WOW. Other times, it’s too painful to read. Either way the future waits for no one. This is where I’m at now.

Julius X premiers at the Baltimore Theatre Project 45 West Preston St. Feb. 9th-19th. Can’t wait to see it. I’ve had a lot of heartburn over this one. For a couple reasons I’d rather not air publicly. To sum it up, I am totally not use to being “just” a playwright. Writing something and giving it to someone who may or may not get your vision of the play is something I struggle with. Usually I’m use to working on my stuff intimately with people I know intimately. This has a different feel altogether. I think the director is going to do a great job with the play. My apprehension has nothing to do with him. I think it’s primarily because I’m 12 hours away (car) and can’t really be apart of the process. I can’t watch the scenes, and change things that don’t work. It’s relying solely on the work that I’ve done on the script, instead of having the chance, to see what works and what doesn’t. That is what the performance will be an opportunity for me to see what works and what doesn’t the problem with that is the show is going to be reviewed. Reviews. I’ve heard playwrights talk about it with dread but never thought much of it, until I started getting reviewed. I remember the feeling of walking to the store to get the newspaper when my first review came in. It was nerve wracking, thank God it was a good review. I haven’t gotten a bad one yet, so I’m not sure how that feels. Honestly, on the level I’m working, I never want to get a bad one. When my work is on Broadway, then that’s something else. Right now though, I’d like to stay in the positives. Reviews are important because they set you up to do other things with the play. I want Julius X to run in NY. To do big things, and this review could be the beginning of it. At this point, all you can do is have faith.

More to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: