Saturday, March 05, 2005

Catch up

So I wrote a long journal entry on the whole Def Poetry Experience, and then subsequently lost it. Nowhere to be found on the harddrive. Quite honestly, I don’t have the heart of time to rewrite, or try to recreate what I’ve lost. So just a few short paragraphs to sum up the experience.

Breath-taking. Larry and David were great support. I performed two older pieces, because they were the easiest to mold into the two minute time frame. The audience loved it. I felt like the work I did lived up to what I’m about as an artist so I was happy with what I did. I got to see some really great poets work, and play catch up with some great people that I had not seen in years. No one recognized me with the long hair, but once they did, we picked up right were we left off. The slam community is such a welcoming and open group of people, it was good to see so many of us there.

The Staff of Def Poetry were incredible. They handled business and were extremely gracious. Walter Mudu, who acted as my agent was on it, as always. Hopefully he and I will be able to do more business together in the near future. Next year I need to get on the map are start doing college gigs more. There is a ton of money in that type of work, and honestly, I could use the money to help fund other things.

The Baltimore run of “Griot” went well. We had very small crowds, but it was good to keep the show running and feel it out. I know what things I want to change and how I want to change them. The vision for the future of the piece is solidly in my head now, I’m going to take some time away from it, but then return to build it the way I envision it in my head. Baltimore has become a home away from home for me. The Theatre Project is a great place to work, and staff are not just good at what they do, but they are family now. Tucker Fuliwiler, the PR King of the Theatre Project was sick while we were their. It was a bummer to see him in the hospital. Tuck’s a great guy and will pull through fine, still, looking at him in the hospital bed made me sad. I wanted to do something more then just visit and laugh at his jokes….

Financially the trip caused different problems to evolve. I worked so hard to get ready for NY and B-more, and barely made any money. If I had another job, it would be a big deal, but since this is what I live off, three months worth of work, two weeks away from home, and to return with the small money that I got is a little depressing. I’ve got a few gigs in the near future that pay well, but right now, things are tight. No complains though, I’m doing what I love and if that’s the exchange, then so be it.

No comments: