Sunday, September 19, 2004

It could be worse

So I’m in Chicago as a part of the Single File Theatre Festival. And I’m here to report it’s not much of a festival. I dig the people that put the festival together, but I must admit that the lack of audience is definitely a downer. The staff is great. The space is good. Chicago is one of my faviorite cities especially this time of the year. But coming up here from Jacksonville on my own dime to perform for 12 people one night, and 6 the next is a little rough. Thankfully, Holly Bass is also with me along with out director Barbara. Holly got into the festival because I prodded her to apply, I thought it would be cool for all of us to be there together. Thank God I did. It’s not half as bad when you have someone to commiserate with.

This is nothing new. I’ve done this several times in New York at the Nuyorican. I good venue that lives off of it’s reputation. And it’s deserved. The Nuyo is legendary. And whenever I’m in town, I always stop by. I love the place, but still it has a lot to be desired when it comes to theatre and promotion. They don’t have to promote the poetry, because it is a staple, but theatre is something altogether different. So several of the times I’ve been in NY, I’ve had microscopic audiences. It hurts some when you are pouring your heart out on the stage, and get nothing in return. But hey, that’s the way it is sometimes. It’s all apart of paying your dues, and Lord knows I’ve got a ton more to pay. So you suck it up, get on stage and give the 4 people in the audience the best show they ever saw.

No comments: